皇冠体育平台

Jump directly to the content
PUDDING PERIL

Dog owners warned Christmas pudding and mince pies can KILL as raisins are toxic to pets

VETS are warning dog-owners against leaving their Christmas puds unattended as raisins, sultanas and currants can be potentially lethal to dogs.

Even just a small amount of the Christmas staples can cause heart failure.

Naughty Marley had to be put on a drip after scoffing an entire Christmas pudding
4
Credit: PA:Press Association Naughty Marley had to be put on a drip after scoffing an entire Christmas pudding Credit: PA: Press Association

They say there is usually a spike in poisoning cases during the festive season as pooches sniff out their humans' booze and raisin laden Christmas favourites.

It comes after Marley, a five-year-old Staffordshire bull terrier from Stoke, needed a fluid drip and emergency medication when he scoffed Christmas pudding and chocolates last year.

Polly Bloor, 41, said: "We had just been shopping and left the bag on the side while we went to pick my granddaughter up from school.

"I wasn't gone that long but when I got back Marley was just sat there with the remains of the Christmas pudding and an empty box of chocolates.

"I panicked, this is our first Christmas with Marley and I thought we were going to lose him."

And two-year-old Ozzie survived a similar scare after devouring a mulled wine-soaked Christmas pudding.

The Labrador, from Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, needed activated charcoal to absorb the toxic substances in his stomach.

Andrew Hunt, senior vet at Stoke PDSA Pet Hospital, said: "Traditional Christmas foods like mince pies, chocolate, onions, raisins, grapes, some nuts, sage-and-onion stuffing and Christmas cake or pudding can all be harmful and should be kept safely out of paws' reach. "

Laura Playforth, professional standards director at Vets Now, said: "We see a big rise in poisoning cases involving raisins and alcohol at this time of year, largely due to dogs eating things like mince pies, Christmas puddings and fruitcake.

"The good news is the prognosis for grape and raisin toxicity is generally good if treated early and there's been no kidney damage.

"Normally symptoms start showing between six and 24 hours after the dog has eaten grapes or raisins.

"But these may not take effect for several days and in the most serious cases, the fruits can also cause sudden kidney failure."

The staffy became very ill after sniffing around her human's Christmas food
4
Credit: PA:Press Association The staffy became very ill after sniffing around her human's Christmas food Credit: PA: Press Association
Two-year-old Ozzie ate an entire Christmas pudding ... and the box it came in
4
Credit: PA:Press Association Two-year-old Ozzie ate an entire Christmas pudding ... and the box it came in Credit: PA: Press Association
Luckily he made a full recovery after a trip to the vets
4
Credit: PA:Press Association Luckily he made a full recovery after a trip to the vets Credit: PA: Press Association
Christmas comes early for residents of Manchester Dogs Home thanks to winter wonderland grotto